In this article, I am going to tell you how to use anchor text so that you can maximize your SEO results. We will start with the basic understandings first.
What is Anchor Text?
Anchor text is the visible, clickable text in a hyperlink. Anchor text is also known as Link text, Link label or Link title. For example, see the link mentioned below-
In the above link, ‘seo powersuite’ is the anchor text.
In the present-day browsers, anchor text is often blue and underlined but the website’s link color and style can be changed by HTML or CSS.
Why is Anchor Text important?
Anchor text distribution can make a profile or break it in the SERP’s.
As long as backlinks matter for SEO ranking factor, anchor text will always play a significant role. Before the 2012 Penguin update, anchor text was one of the easiest way for Google to understand whether a particular website is pertinent or not. But now, it is one of the best ways for Google to penalize websites for spam and over-optimization.
Google Penguin, a codename for Google algorithm update, targets any website that was flagrantly doing artificial, spammy or shoddy link building technique in an effort to “play-off’ the search.
Anchor Text Optimization
Optimizing anchor text can be a devious move. Some people do the mistake of over-optimizing their anchor text which results in unnecessary penalties.
Here are some tips to optimize your anchor text without being penalized by Google.
- Relevant anchor text– To make anchor texts work best for you, keep them relevant to the content you have put them in. The more your article is relevant to the targeted keywords, the better your rank will be in the SERPs. For example, if your keyword is seo powersuite, writing an article about the seo powersuite in your article will be the best move for you.
- Allocate your anchor text wisely- Anchor text distribution can make or break the rank of your website in search, so focus your energy here. As per my experience and observation, what makes a profile natural is as follows:
- Branded Anchor text: 30%
This is the safest anchor to use. Branded anchors are anchors that use brand name or domain name in it. (I.e. digihubpost)
- Naked link anchor: 45%
You should include these anchors in your website URL (i.e. www.digihubpost.com or digihubpost.com)
- Miscellaneous anchors-14%
Like click here, go to website, etc.
- Record your anchor texts– It is important to track the anchor texts that you have used when you are constructing backlinks. Be organized and make sure that you are not over-optimizing your page with keyword-rich anchors. I will recommend you tools like SEMrush, Monitor Backlinks and Ahrefs to monitor your keywords.
- Refrain from internal linking with keyword-rich anchors- Don’t internal link with keyword-rich anchor text because too many keyword-rich anchors can have a negative effect on your profile. So, create a long anchor and spread the keywords within.
In this post-penguin update, be careful when using anchors since they can penalize your site. Naked link anchors and branded anchors are the safest and effective types of anchors. Focus on building links using quality content and a diverse range of anchor texts. Also, you know the anchor text ratio that Google is looking for so begin your link building campaign whose anchors are related to your niche and perform better than them.