In this article, you will learn the most crucial aspect of SEO concept, i.e. LSI keywords (latent semantic indexing keywords). Not only this, you will be able to understand how to use LSI keywords in your content strategy so that it can rank top in the search engine results page.
Things that you will learn in this post:
- What are LSI keywords?
- Benefits of using LSI keywords.
- LSI keywords vs. Long-Tail keywords
- How to find LSI keywords?
- How to Use LSI keywords?
One of the most reliable search engines, Google prefers pages that have knowledgeable content rather than pages having weak content. When searching for a keyword phrase, Google gives more priority to understand the needs of a user.
What are LSI Keywords?
Latent semantic indexing keywords or LSI keywords are word phrases that are associated with your primary keyword. However, you need to make sure that you must include words in your content that are sensibly related to your keyword.
Let’s take an example, if you have a post on ‘Windows’, then make sure that your post should contain keywords like, ‘Windows 7’, ‘Microsoft’, etc.
These are LSI keywords that help to distinguish your post from the searches related to ‘classy windows look’, ‘wooden windows lock’, etc.
If you see the above image clearly, you will notice the potential LSI keywords when you are writing a post on ‘Windows’.
Tip: From the footer of Google search results (searches related to…), you can get multiple LSI keywords associated with your topic ‘Windows’.
Benefits of Using LSI Keywords
Here are the lists of advantages of using LSI keywords in your content.
- Helps to prevent your content from being labeled as Spam: LSI keywords help a lot in preventing your content from being labeled as spam. You should mention keyword phrases that are relatively linked to your primary keywords as they help to increase the credibility of your content.
- Decrease in Bounce Rates: LSI keywords help a lot in decreasing your bounce rates by preventing your site from ranking for the wrong terms. Let me show you an example:
There are two articles having the same name, ‘Kasper’. But, they are about.
- Kasper, the movie
- Kasper anti-virus
Here, Google takes your keywords like ‘action movie’, ‘movie awards’, ‘climax scenes’, etc. in order to differentiate the first article from the second one. For the second article, Google takes keywords like ‘24*7 security’, ‘total security’, etc.
- Increase On-Page time spent by Visitors: LSI keywords help to make the content flow meaningful and natural. It will surely help to retain visitors on your site.
- Improve Search Engine Rankings: Google bots usually crawl your website and make a vision of your post. Moreover, they use LSI measures to rank your website for related searches, no matter what your target keyword is.
- Improve Blog Authority: The idea is simple more rankings will ultimately lead to more click-through rates and more authority of your blog.
- Increase in the sale: No doubt, LSI keywords are like long tail keywords that help to rank higher without any strong competition. For instance, Amazon records a great sale of approx 57% through keywords that are long tails and LSI versions of the primary keyword.
LSI Keywords vs. Long Tail Keywords
Now, you must be thinking that is there any disparity between LSI keywords and Long tail keywords.
Well, LSI keywords do not mean similar as to long tail keywords, but they both are quite related to each other.
The main difference between LSI keywords and long tail keywords is that LSI keywords usually broaden the scope with related keywords, whereas long tail keywords narrow down the scope of a search.
Most of the search engines use LSI keywords in order to check whether you have knowledge of the written topic or not.
How to Find LSI Keywords
You all are aware of the fact that LSI keywords help to bring better traffic and ranking. Here are the lists of tools that you can use to find LSI keywords.
- Google Keyword Planner: For anything, Google is everything. Also, it helps to find you LSI keywords as well. But, this method is quite basic and hence, you need to use it with the combination of other tools to attain top results.
With the help of Google keyword planner, you would be able to get some LSI keywords that can help a lot to get top rankings.
See, I have got a good amount of keywords for my article on ‘backpacks’.
LSI Graph: It is a popular and handy tool, which is used to get latent semantic keywords. You just need to go here. Enter the keyword, clear the captcha and then finally hit ‘generate’. You will get the result displaying a list of LSI keywords.
- Keyword Shitter: It helps to shit some of the relevant LSI keywords that are based on your query. Moreover, it helps to give you the option to filter the results that are based on your positive and negative words.
Through this approach, you can easily choose how your LSI keywords are displayed. It will ultimately refrain from getting irrelevant keywords.
In case, if you use wisely, you can have a list of top LSI keywords as long tail keywords to write a post on.
- Soolve: It is one of the best tools, which is widely used by online marketers. When you enter a query, it informs you the top searches in the search engines. Moreover, it supports results from Wikipedia, Google, Bing, Yahoo, YouTube, etc.
With the help of soolve, you can get user intent keywords quite easily.
- SEMrush: This ultimate suite helps you to give keywords that surely benefit a lot. With the help of this tool, you can get keywords that are used by your competitors.
You need to go to SEMrush and then in the search box type your competitor’s website URL and finally hit enter.
After that, select organic research > positions from the left side menu to go to keywords rankings page as shown in the figure below.
- Mondovo: It is one of the prominent tools for those who want cheaper sort of tool or who are not willing to pay for other tools.
Steps to use Mondovo
- Sign up for Mondovo. When you sign up, you will be offered some credit points for free. You can use these points on keyword research for your project on Mondovo.
- Then, go to the SEO tab and select the option of keyword research.
- After that, you will be directed to a page, where you need to enter your base keyword.
- You can even choose to give a competitor’s URL in order to find the allied keywords, your competition ranks for.
- Then, choose the language that you want your LSI keywords to be in.
- Finally, you will see the results within a short period.
- KeywordTool.io: It is a reliable tool, which helps to generate keywords, especially LSI keywords. More importantly, it displays the result keywords in an alphabetical order that help you a lot to find latent semantic index based keywords quite easily.
Here is the guide how to do it.
- Put in your base keyword: The tool allows you to insert one primary keyword and enables you to look for LSI keywords that are based on four different search engines.
- Choose the target search engine: You can easily look for LSI keywords that are based on Bing, Google, App Store, and YouTube.
- Select the country: You can target your LSI keywords according to your audience location.
- Select the language: choose your preferred language.
- Click Enter: You will be able to get your results as shown in the figure below.
How to Use LSI Keywords
Generally speaking, I have seen many bloggers who insert LSI keywords into their content without any specific strategy. This ultimately results in messing up of the primary keyword with LSI keywords.
The placement of LSI keywords can make or break the credibility and rankings of the post.
Tips to use LSI keywords
- Choose the appropriate Keyword: Many LSI keyword tools generate keywords that are relatively based on the set of an algorithm.
However, they are not produced by any user and thus they lack a personal touch.
Furthermore, you will find that in each list of the keywords, there are some phrases that are not related to your primary keyword as shown in the figure below.
For example, if you are writing an article about backpacks for cats, but you choose the keyword, backpack for dogs too, then it will surely harm your SEO.
- Put it Naturally: Having a huge number of LSI keywords might be a drawback because you need to place them naturally rather than injecting them anywhere. You should make sure that only relevant keywords are used in a single article.
- Target more Positions: In your title of the post, you can use your LSI keywords as a question in the conclusion. Not only this, you can also use them as anchor text to an internal link.
You can use them in permalinks, title tags and in the introduction and conclusion section of your blog. This will help to give a natural flow to your post.
I hope this article will surely help you in using LSI keywords in your blog posts. Just make sure you write better content.
Like this post? Share it with your friends.