Undoubtedly, SEO industry is extremely complex and every single marketer knows it very well.
For instance, if you are having a post, which is currently ranking at number 5th. You know it’s a good number, but still deep inside you want it to be at number 1 position at any cost.
Your Google keyword ranking can make or break the credibility of your post.
Now, you must be thinking that escalating your ranking is quite an impossible task.
But, let me clear to you, it is possible to increase your position on the search engine results page.
In this article, I will guide you step by step so that you can improve your Google rankings for competitive keywords.
Tips to Improve your Google Ranking for Competitive Keywords
- Understand your Baseline Search Ranking: It is a most important step that you should know where you are currently at. It will help you to establish a baseline data. However, if you don’t have any baseline data, then you cannot improve anyway. If you want to analyze your post’s ranking then you can:
- use the manual procedure
- use a rank checker tool
In order to search ranking manually, you can simply type your keyword into Google’s search box and look for your blog post. It will tell your exact current Google ranking of your post.
In the second method, you can use a rank checker tool called SERPs (search engine results pages). You just need to enter in the main keyword section that your content is currently working for. Moreover, make sure that you enter your domain name too. Once you enter your keyword and domain name into SERP, then click ‘Go’. It will show your current ranking position at Google.
- Search for Variations of your main keyword: Your keyword is the most crucial thing that you need to focus on. The only way to boost your rankings is to find more and more keywords. Let’s talk about different keywords that can surely boost your rankings.
- LSI Keywords: These are the keywords that are associated with your competitive keyword. For instance, if you enter the keyword ‘top SEO tips’ at Google, then at the bottom you will see keywords under ‘searches related to’ section. These keywords are known as ‘LSI keywords’ that you can use to improve the credibility of your content.
- Long-tail Keywords: These keywords can help a lot to increase your Google ranking because they are less competitive. They are generally used by the people who are interested to make a purchase. Furthermore, you can use keyword research tool SEMrush in order to look for long tail keywords.
Make sure that you integrate your LSI and long-tail keywords in your images, introduction, H2 tags, etc.
- Publish Relevant topics to support your best Content: If you want your content to attain a top Google ranking, then start focusing different angles of your topic to establish relevance. Once the relevant topics are created, you can easily optimize them for keyword variations such as long-tail keywords and LSI.
In case, if you installed Yoast SEO premium into your WordPress blog, then you must be able to use Plug-in’s internal linking.
- Site Speed: Right from the beginning, Google made it quite clear that it uses site speed as one of the ranking signals. Normally, a speed of fewer than 2 seconds is quite a good way to go. This is because Google wants to offer a positive experience to the users.
It has been observed that the pages which load slowly create a lot of problems for individuals finalizing their transactions. Thus, a faster side speed is much necessary as it allows the search engine bots to crawl web pages more effectively.
You can do following methods to boost your site speed
- Remove irrelevant characters in your code.
- Reduce the sizes of image files
- Make sure you keep your redirects to a minimum.
- Title Tag: Make sure that you always keep an eye on your title tag. It is the only way that can help Google to understand the context of your article. Furthermore, it helps to influence the users to click on your posts on SERPs.
Note: Always keep in mind that you do not overdo keywords in your title tag. Also, do not write a lengthy title tag.
- Meta Description: It is placed beneath your title tag that describes the intent of your content. It contributes a lot to increase your Google keyword ranking indirectly. Remember that you include your main keyword in your Meta description so that Google can display it on SERPs.
Note: Always use an active voice in your Meta description to attract the user’s attention.
- Image SEO: When we talk about SEO, images really contribute a lot to increase your rankings as they give extra information to Google about your post.
Here are the lists of tips that you can tweak your images for SEO.
- Rename your blog image by using the main
- Describe your image perfectly in your alt tag.
- Make sure you write a good image title in order to enhance your click-through rate.
- Describe your image in the caption.
- Have a Good Link Building Strategy: Links has always been a top factor that helps in influencing your Google keyword ranking. In a recent study of Google, it is revealed that the links do play a crucial role in enhancing the keyword ranking to a great extent.
If you want desired Google rankings, then stick to a solid link building strategy. Make sure that you focus on the links quality rather than their quantity. Furthermore, you should build a strong backlink profile for your post.
- Guest Blogging: You need to reach out to other bloggers in order to distribute your blog to a broader extent. When you guest post your blog, it mainly gives you SEO link juice. As a result, guest posting automatically attracts backlinks from the authoritative blogs ensure that your blog was written perfectly.
You need to focus on blogs that have:
- Content associated with your blog.
- Genuine social media followers
- A great amount of traffic
- Huge comments and shares
- Go in-depth: While writing content, make sure that you go into the depth of it. Your target word count of a single content must be more than 1500 words. Remember, the higher your word count, you will get more chances of focusing on various angles of your topic.
Note: Quality matters than the quantity. Make sure you write top quality content that helps to augment your Google ranking.
- Social media sharing: It is one of the best ways to attract backlinks and is also widely popular among the users. First of all, make sure that you are available on all the social media platforms. Secondly, not only just create profiles; link your content to them. Make sure you share your content on all the social media platforms by including relevant keywords in it.
Note: Don’t forget to add share buttons to your blog and also indicating a call-to-action button at the end of your post.
I just hope you have successfully gained some valuable information through this post. In case, if you have any question or suggestion, please let me know in the comments below.
Like this post? Share it with your friends.